29 August 2008

It's more than just vocabulary

We finally got a gym membership. I was most interested because the local YMCA has a pool and I'd like for the kids to learn to swim, but after we got the membership I thought I should probably use it more than just every once in a while to swim as a family. So, I've been learning more about exercise and fitness.
As friends and family tell me more about "working out," I've learned that there is a vocabulary for the whole thing. Things like "reps" and "sets" for weight lifting, "calories" and "lipoproteins" for health, and more brand names for fitness machines than I care to count.
But it's more than just vocabulary- did you know that there are (according to some) 5 principles of fitness (beware the pop-ups)? When's the last time you looked at the food pyramid? Anyone here know how many leafy, green veggies you're supposed to have in a week? And how about figuring out the difference between a restaurant serving and a "recommended serving"? It's enough to make your head spin.
Here's the point: Some of you, as you're reading this, are thinking in your heads "It's not that complicated, you just make sure you eat... and do... and take..." Maybe it's simple for you, but think for a minute about what it took to learn all you know about it- you've been learning as you go.

The programming world has a huge vocabulary. If anyone in my family (or ward family) interested in learning to program in C#, please let me know. I'd be happy to share. Here's one of my favorite Help Desk acronyms: PEBKAC (pronounced PEB-kack) - Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair

In our church, we have vocabulary and we have a lifestyle. When people visit us for the first time, they probably feel like I do about fitness- happy and amazed, but also a little overwhelmed and worn out. I've been a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (I almost wrote "I've been LDS for..." sheesh, I'm slow sometimes) for more than 20 years now, so our vocabulary and lifestyle are a natural part of me and require no thought. But I'm going to work harder to help others as much as I can in the transition.

Those are just three examples of the concept I'm trying to share. And speaking of sharing, I issue a formal invitation to all to help others learn vocabularies and practices- don't leave them in the dark just for the sake of being an exclusive "insider."

1 comment:

Jared A. Edwards said...

Wonderful insights on learning and how we forget that "everyone isn't me." My favorite part was the last phrase. There are too,too many "exclusive insiders" in this world. Possibly, to be found in any formal hierarchy or informal socialized structure out there. Let's abolish that mentality.