10 August 2008

I'm 'bout dead - part 2

First, let's rewind.
A while ago Beth came up with a simple design for some shelves- 4' wide by 4' tall and 16" deep with 3 shelves- about as vanilla as shelves can get. If you want a copy of the plans, just ask- prices are listed below.
Plywood is about $35 for a 1/2" thick 4'x8' sheet and we needed one sheet per set of shelves, so that's $70. 1/2" molding costs about $4 per 8' strip and we needed 48' for a total of $24. After tax, each set of shelves cost about $60. A little steep, but think about what you can get for $60 at your local *mart. It'll be made of fiberboard and laminate, or it'll be made of real wood but be tiny- either way, it'll have cheap hardware. Click here, here, and here for examples.

Armed with my nail gun, I made a mock-up of the shelves in about 3 minutes. I love air tools!


The first set took me about 6 hours- 3 to build, 3 to finish (sand, putty, paint, etc). The second set took about 4 hours.


And here they are- finished.
Seth's:


The girls':

2 comments:

Libbi said...

you did a beautiful job!!! and Pete wants your tools! here's a hint..hide them well before Seth is much older...Br Major in Newberry said once that when he has grandsons, he's going to their house and take his grandson and say, "Come on sonny, show me where Daddy keeps his tools because we're going to throw them all in the woods one at a time just like he did over the years to mine!"

kim e said...

Great job. I think I need to hire you for my projects. I had to settle for the black cheapo from walmart for David's room. Yours look so nice.