04 February 2009

Project: TV Stand

We got a new TV and didn't really have a place for it. So, we put it on top of the old console TV that Beth's grandparents gave us (thanks, Grandma and Gramps).

Well, around the beginning of the year, we decided to try to find a TV stand to match the TV. We looked at Walmart.com, Target.com, HH Gregg, Circuit City (remember them?), Best Buy, and even a couple of real furniture stores. Bottom line- we weren't happy with what we found.

The ones that had enough storage space and looked nice were well over $500 and our budget was $250. The ones that were affordable were either cheaply made, ugly, or didn't have enough storage space (or a combination of those).

So, by golly, we made one. This was, by far, the hardest project I've ever completed. It also looks nicer than anything I've ever made (besides my adorable kids, heh heh heh). And I approached it in an entirely different way- each step was its own mini-project. I decided to make the cabinet and if it turned out well I'd make drawers. If they turned out well, I'd make doors. And if it was acceptable all together, I'd finish (stain and seal) it.

Step 1: The Cabinet



Step 2: Drawers



Step 3: The Doors



Step 4: Finish!



Check out the storage space! (Beth loves those things.)



And we made it within our budget as well! Woohoo!

P.S. Take a closer look at the links, and hover over the pictures with your mouse. "Easter eggs" abound.

7 comments:

brad dunbar said...

Holy cow! That is a rather impressive $250 stand. My hat is off to you sir. I would definitely cut off a finger if I attempted something of that magnitude.

Beth & Rob Bailey said...

we're not in budget until you return the unused drawer pulls! that's your job, and i've added it to your list.
I liked the links (is that national debt counter for real?)

Beth & Rob Bailey said...

oh, and i agree with brad...
i nearly cut my finger off slicing a bagel yesterday...i'll take the sewing machine and leave you to the saw!

LaNelle said...

that is gorgeous! I am super impressed...but then again you are Rob and you are brilliant so why should I doubt that you could make something that awesome? :)

TotallyContent said...

Wow, I'm impressed. It looks great!

Jared A. Edwards said...

"Shoulda bought one." (in the voice of a sweaty kid with a rat tail wearing an L.A. Raiders jacket.)

Orr Family said...

You should sell these! It is so beautiful!! I want one!! What to come visit and make me a dresser for Hayden??? This really is a great talent!!